Utz Sweet and Salty Bourbon and Orange Pecan Pie
This version of pecan pie submitted by Lindsey Kress is great for serving at dessert or just having after dinner. The bourbon makes it a lot more festive for a dinner party and the orange zest brightens up the flavor. It's rich, but not too heavy. You can taste the butter as it melts in your mouth...the flavors are just perfectly balanced. The Utz Mini Pretzels add an amazing second crunch to the pie that compliments the toasted pecans beautifully.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼-1/3 cup ice water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla or orange extract
- Zest of one large orange
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups pecans
- ¾ cup Utz Mini Pretzels or Butter Waffles
- ¾ cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For the crust, in a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or your hands, add in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; toss with a fork or hands until hydrated. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until the mixture begins to come together. Gather dough into a ball and knead gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle.
- Fold pastry into fourths and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Unfold and ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- For filling, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in pecans, pretzels, and chocolate chips. Spoon mixture into prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cover pie with foil and bake until filling is puffed and center is just set, 15-20 minutes more.
- After removing from the oven, zest more orange on top of pie.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.